Friday, November 20, 2015

two finished quilts

There has been some sewing going on around here, and I've been able to finish some long-term projects! First, I finished V.'s quilt:

Little girl's quilt

Little girl's quilt

So, above are pics of the front and back of the quilt on her new bed. The pics are not the best, but I thought I'll write about it now, because it could be a while before I get any better pics. It's been quite dark around here, recently. As you can see, I used two leftover strips from the front and three different cuts of Briar Rose fabric to make the back. I'm really happy with how the quilt turned out! I love the colours and the back is just as pretty as the front! Also, the colours go really well with the rug in V.'s room!

Little girl's quilt

For the binding I used a print from Color Me Retro, that I also used in the front. I cut it across the length of the fabric as opposed to the width as to get more variety in the fabric's pattern.

Little girl's quilt

Little girl's quilt

Little girl's quilt

HST Block-of-the-month 2012 finished!

The other quilt I finished is the block-of-the-month quilt from Jeni Baker's blog In Color Order from some years ago. Again, not the best pictures ... I had the top finished and lingering in my closet since before V. was born and encouraged by Kirsty (and her gorgeous quilts) I finally decided to have it professionally long-arm quilted. The quilter suggested that since it's a lap sized quilt it would be fun to back it with fleece, so we did! I'm really happy with the quilting and the fleece back is so soft and warm. V. loves it! The next bigger kid quilt I'll make will probably get the same treatment! And it was such a relief not to have to quilt this one myself. I think this quilting pattern pulls the quilt top together much better than anything that I could have managed, even if circumstances allowed for longer quilting session!

HST Block-of-the-month 2012 finished!

HST Block-of-the-month 2012 finished!

HST Block-of-the-month 2012 finished!

For the binding I chose this light green print by Anna Maria Horner (I think it's from the Loulouthi collection ...). When I was making the quilt I had a chocolate brown print in mind for the binding, but now I decided something with less contrast would be much nicer. Fortunately I had the perfect print in my stash! I sewed on the binding completely by machine, also encouraged by Kirsty's posts. I think it was the right solution for this quilt that will hopefully see some heavy use and is also relatively thick because of the fleece backing. I could still do with some practice with this technique, but I think the binding looks good enough and also it was so fun to have it finished quite quickly! Yay!

HST Block-of-the-month 2012 finished!

HST Block-of-the-month 2012 finished!


3 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Yay, Eva, 2 quilts - what a legend! And just in time for winter, you are so good (for some reason I seem to finish my quilts just in time for summer....not very clever). I'm so glad you took the plunge with a long armer, the quilting looks amazing and let's be honest I bet your to-do list is long enough right now without this job. I have tried quilting with fleece and found it a bit tricky (it's so stretchy), so I would be very happy to have someone else handle that for me. I think fleece and flannel feel amazing on the back of a quilt, this will be so cuddly.
V's quilt is beautiful - I'm a fan of blue for girls and your pops of pink and yellow are lovely (and how cool that it coordinates so well with her rug). That grass green print on the back is so sweet. The little bugs and critters hiding in the Heather Ross fabrics will really delight V - maybe even lead to you getting a sleep in? (maybe I'm too hopeful there....)!

Alicia P. said...

These are really gorgeous!

Katarzyna Wójcik - Respendowicz said...

So optimistic:))
kreatywniejemy.blogspot.com