Wednesday, October 7, 2015

two little Farmer's Wife 1930s blocks

I just couldn't help it, I had to join in, if only a little bit! There are two lovely sew-alongs for the book  The Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt. One at verykerryberry and one at Gnome Angel. I decided to go with the latter since my book hasn't arrived yet (and apparently won't for another month ...) and I like that the QAL is working up from the simpler to the trickier blocks. Plus, the lovely Kirsty is taking part in that one, so that was reason enough! :-)

farmer's wife 1930s, block #16 Bonnie

First, I made block #16 Bonnie following the PDF instructions. I rotary cut my pieces and there was some re-cutting to make the blue stripey fabric go in the same direction in both rectangles. Also, I had to unpick and re-sew the pandas because I sewed them on the wrong way up the first time around. It really is advisable to lay out the blocks before sewing, especially since I'm planning to set them on point and it's more difficult for me to envision the layout otherwise.

farmer's wife 1930s, block #8 Aunt

The other block I made so far is #8 Aunt. The fabrics for this one just jumped out at me from my scrap box, so that was a no-brainer. I'm trying to stick with scraps for these blocks, it's such a fun way to use them up and those little pieces are perfect for some scrap sewing! Again, I rotary cut my pieces and since the fabrics are not directional I didn't have any trouble this time. I already have chosen the fabrics for the next two blocks, let's see when I get around to making them!

binding

I'm also slowly but surely attaching the binding on the quilt I made for V.! I'm so happy with how this is turning out! I hope to get it bound and finished soon, so I can take some pictures and share the quilt here! Happy sewing! :-)

1 comment:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Yay, you're joining in too! Awesome! I love your first blocks - boy, your Aunt came out so well - I know a lot of people have had trouble with that one. I know what you mean about laying them all out before you sew, they can be tricky. I just unpicked and resewed some fussy cutting that I got the wrong way up (I was going to leave it but thought it might annoy me in the future so I stopped stalling and just did it :) These are definitely not 'have a glass of wine while sewing' blocks - attention is required! But hey, we like a challenge, right?
Your quit for V looks so fresh and sweet. That grass green backing is just gorgeous. I'm sure she's going to love snuggling up in this one.
So, how many weeks to go?? x x