Wednesday, February 25, 2015

more drawstring bags and some stitching

Recently I made three drawstring bags for my sister-in-law's birthday. I chose fabrics I thought she might like and worked from my stash. Some of these fabrics are my very favourites.



I followed Jeni Baker's pattern and made three sizes, The Artist Bag, The Project Bag and The Everything Bag.





I made these assembly-line style and while I was at it I made an Everything sized one for myself as well.



These are so practical, I could use a couple more in all sizes! :-) I used ribbon, so I was able to skip the drawstring making stage and also use up those pretty ribbons I bought quite a while a go. It's nice to know these are in good use now! I use mine to store my embroidery hoop, scissors and the floss for my current project:



I'm making the Winterwoods ABCs cross-stitch sampler by Alicia Paulson of Posie Gets Cozy. Over Christmas I stitched a simple cross-stitch project from her book and it gave me the confidence to start this at last! I bought the kit back in 2012, but didn't really have to courage to start until now. I've really been enjoying the process, it's very relaxing to concentrate on these simple stitches and the pretty overdyed flosses and little plants and creatures are so lovely! In the past I thought I wasn't really the type for cross-stitch, but now I'm hooked. I just needed the right project to motivate me to try it!


1 comment:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Oh, oh, I love Posie gets cosy too, she seems like such a sweetheart. I really liked her sampler that she's been showing recently, I didn't realise it was from her own book (I should probably concentrate on her text a little more but I'm always so focused on her lovely photos). Her daughter must be pretty close in age to V?
Those bags have come up brilliantly. I really love the combo with the yellow ribbon - I would have been lost with what to team with the yellow fabric but you've matched it so well with the top brown and yellow twill. So pretty. And of course the turquoise one, I can't say no to turquoise (or AMH).
Jeni has done so well with that pattern, the bags really feel so luxurious with the lining and you can make them in any size you need. They're so handy for gifts.
Your sister-in-law should be very happy with these!