Thursday, January 8, 2015

Swappen auf Deutsch 5 completed

Washi Patchwork Tote

Now that the swap is completed, I thought I'd share a bit more information on the tote I made and of course show you what I got in return! :-)

Washi Patchwork Tote

My partner left me quite a lot of freedom for creating something for her, so I tried to figure out where to start from looking at her inspirational mosaic. Then I mainly used this, this and this picture to work from. So, there was the washi tape fabric which I had in my stash as well, then there was improv piecing and geometric forms plus a combination of bright colours and neutral backgrounds. The idea of trying to recreate the layout of the washi fabric in patchwork emerged and I started to work from there.

Washi Patchwork Tote

Since I wanted to make things a bit easier for myself I took the dimensions and general construction of the tote from the book Zakka Style (be sure to look at the errata before making the Zig Zag Tote from that book!!).

Washi Patchwork Tote

I decided to add a (nearly) solid panel on the bottom of the tote using the same fabric I used for the handles to pull it all together and make the tote less prone to stains if placed on the floor.

Washi Patchwork Tote

The inner pocket is made from the inspirational fabric.

Washi Patchwork Tote Innentasche

I quilted some individual panels in dense straight lines on one side of the tote, which I think looks really nice. On the other side I quilted in the ditch of the "tapes".

Washi Patchwork Tote

Washi Patchwork Tote

Washi Patchwork Tote

Washi Patchwork Tote

I'm really happy I took part in this swap again. Seeing all the others make such an effort to create something original really pushed me to come up with something of my own and get out of my comfort zone a bit! I think that's the most fun in a swap, you never know who you're getting to sew for and you'll have to come up with something that both pleases them and yourself. :-)

And now to the beautiful bag I recieved:

Swappen auf Deutsch - empfangen

Isn't it stunning?! I am so happy with it and as you can see in the pic couldn't wait to fill it up with my stuff and use it! It was made by Monika, be sure to check out her blog and her flickr account, she makes some amazing stuff!

Swappen auf Deutsch - empfangen

Monika really listened to my wishes when it came to colours and patterns and she put so much work in the bag, adding such beautiful details!

Swappen auf Deutsch - empfangen

Swappen auf Deutsch - empfangen

An especially lovely touch is my name embroidered on the other side of the tote! Such a great idea!

Swappen auf Deutsch - empfangen

Swappen auf Deutsch - empfangen

Thank you so much again, Monika!!! :-)


3 comments:

Franziska said...

Tolle Werke. Sowohl deine Tasche, als auch das, was du bekommen hast. Du hast Tolles gesehen!

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Those colours are just beautiful, I love turquoise with the deep red (a blue-red, not an orange-red) they really pop against the neutrals. The hand stitching is such a lovely touch as well. No wonder you're happy with this outcome (as I'm sure your receiver was too!) x

Carlin said...

I love the color too, beautiful bag!