Tuesday, March 18, 2014

some machine embroidery and FMQ



Last week the theme of the patchwork course I'm taking was quilting and I finally had the courage and motivation to try some machine embroidery and Free Motion Quilting. It was such fun to try out a technique I was afraid of for so long and see that it's like with any other crafty thing: you just need to try it and practise!



I was really inspired by the possibilities of the machine embroidery in particular. For some time now I've been wanting to draw a bit more again, but haven't been feeling too inspired. This could be a fun way to mix things up.



We were having a beautiful day when I was making this, so I stitched some little flowers, leaves and a little butterfly.



For my FMQ project I cut into my piece of the Loulouthi Summer Totem print I've been hoarding. (One of my coursemates was a bit horrified that I was able to cut into it ...) I'm planning on quilting it and then turning it into a big rectangular cushion cover. It's fun to practise my stitching on this lovely piece of fabric and the pattern is so beautiful in itself that I think my less than perfect stitching won't be too noticeable in the finished product.







I hope I'll be able to finish this soon, this lovely fabric is perfect for Spring!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

three-piece girly outfit



This little outfit was already finished in December, but I only now got some half-decent pictures taken. The patterns are all from Ottobre Design 1/2008 (a lot of cute patterns in that one, by the way). I've made versions of the tunic and blouse before. You can see them here.



This time, I cut some corners by using one of J.'s old shirts for the blouse and keeping the button placket intact so I didn't have to sew one myself. I think it works well and making the blouse this way was quite fast!



At first, I had planned to keep the original buttons, but it was a bit bland with simple white buttons and when I found these cute flower ones, I changed them.



For the tunic I chose this gorgeous print from Loulouthi (I used the same print for the blouse trimmings as you can see).



The hem and string closure are a Kona solid cotton, I'm almost sure it's Lagoon ...




I used the same solid for the trouser belt facing and the main fabric is a fine wale corduroy with tiny hearts on it.



Here you can see them a bit better. So cute!

I made another simple tunic around the same time. I followed a pattern I made myself for my niece some time ago (you can see that first version here).



This time I chose this fun print from Put a Lid on It from Michael Miller fabrics, which I think is so pretty and am glad that I've finally put it to use. I decided not to add a pocket or a contrast hem for this one, because I wanted the fabric to shine by itself. I used pink bias binding, because like that this tunic coordinates with a lot of clothes V. already had.



I still love those simple white buttons! :-) At the moment, I'm planning on sewing a little dress for V.'s first birthday, which will be quite soon!!! I think I will make one using the Little Pearl Dress pattern from Liberty Love. I already bought some grosgrain ribbon and some little buttons and I already had some of that eyelet cotton and a piece of that lovely Liberty print. I hope I'll get around to actually sew it in time!



I'll keep you posted!


Wednesday, March 5, 2014

beary cute hoodie and sweatpants set



I made this little set for V. some time ago. The fabric was so irresistibly cute and cozy, I had to buy some of it. I bought it here in Helsinki and unfortunately have no info about the manufacturer. Both patterns are from Ottobre Design magazines, the hoodie from 3/2009 and the sweatpants from 4/2011. I chose the hoodie pattern because of the asymmetric front. I wanted something a bit special, but not too busy to take away too much attention from the print.



I like this kind of pattern for babies, the wide and foldable rib in the waist and at the legs gives the trousers some room for growth.



This knit is quite bulky and I broke one double needle when sewing the hem. Since I didn't want to break another, I used a stronger single needle and decided to zigzag the hem, arm openings and the rib on the front of the hoodie. I really like the way it looks and I think it's a good solution for a problem like this. The seams are still stretchy this way and it is actually a fun feature for a children's item.



I had some of these simple snaps for the front at hand, and I think they are perfect here.



And the inside of the fabric is so snuggly!



Most of the time we use the items seperately. That's quite a lot of bears to pull off! ;-)