Monday, August 11, 2014

some scrappy envelopes

envelope

This summer I bought the beautiful book Patchwork, Please which had been long on top of my wish list. These envelopes are what convinced me to buy the book, but frankly, I'd like to make all the projects in it now, they're all so cute and most of them are perfect for using up scraps!

envelope

I decided to do just that and used mostly scraps for making these. It has been such fun to make one envelope at a time, using a (more or less ...) limited number of fabrics and not thinking too much about fabric choices. My goal was to make the individual blocks look harmonious but not to agonize over the colour schemes too much. I has been fun using up scraps, trying new fabric combinations with fabrics I'd used before in a different scheme and remembering all the projects I made with the fabrics.

envelope

I really love making these, and they are my first try at Foundation Paper Piecing. The instructions in the book are very clear and this particular pattern is not too difficult in my opinion. No really tiny pieces, nor too many of them.

envelope

My plan is to make the wall pocket project from the book as long as I don't decide that the scrappiness of the blocks is too busy for that in the end. At the moment, though, I think it will be really fun and cute!

envelope

2 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

I agree - definitely fun and cute. And a great way to showcase those fussy cut pieces. I love that last one - it's like you're pulling a bouquet out of an envelope like a magician!

Helen Ernst said...

Just adore those envelopes! I will need to find a copy of this magazine!