Thursday, August 28, 2014

Diamond Chips mini quilt

Diamond Chips mini quilt

Yesterday I finally finished the little mini quilt from Sarah Fielke's Quilting from Little Things I'd been working on on and off for over 1 1/2 years! It is not my most precise piecing etc., but I think the outcome is quite cute, anyway. I decided to make life a little easier for myself and didn't quilt the outer corners as densely as the other spaces between the "diamonds".

Diamond Chips mini quilt

Since I got the book, I really liked the idea of this mini, fracturing a geometric fabric print even more to make some little sparkling diamond blocks. When I bought the main fabric used here (from Carnaby Street by Pat Bravo), I thought it would be perfect for this! I decided on the dense quilting, because I felt that my diamonds didn't pop enough against the background once they were pieced and I think it helps a bit to remedy that.

Diamond Chips mini quilt

I think it looks lovely from the back, too:

Diamond Chips mini quilt

This was a fun exercise in fabric choice, piecing and quilting. For instance, it made me smile to see much more coherent everything looked once I added the pink binding. I'm not sure if I'm happy enough with it to put it on the wall, but at any rate it makes a nice dolly quilt! :-)

Diamond Chips mini quilt

Have a lovely weekend!

2 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Those colours perfectly match your blog header, you know! You are obviously drawn to them. I think the choice of the 'fractured fabric' for your stars is very clever and I really like the way the hand quilting makes them pop. Love that last photo - I can think of a little girl who will love playing with your mini quilts!

Franziska said...

Der Mini Quilt sieht toll aus. Schön, daß du erzählt hast, wieso du den Stoff gewählt hast, klingt nach und sieht aus wie eine/r guten Wahl. Das Muster sieht auch toll aus. Das ist etwas für mich.
Solch eine Puppe haben wir auch (also von Haba). :)