Thursday, May 8, 2014

Pretty as a Picture Dress

Pretty as a Picture Dress

This dress from Handmade Beginnings has been on my list for a long time. I bought some of this Pastry Line Dobby Dot fabric back in 2010 (I think ...) and in my opinion it is just so beautiful. I'm a bit sad I didn't buy enough to make something for myself, but I still have some bits that hopefully will become some more clothes for V. at some point!

Pretty as a Picture Dress

Because of the fabric choice and placement this dress looks a lot like the one in the book, which I really like. I think the stripes laid out in different directions is a really fun detail! The back is especially pretty with the elastic waistband ruching.

Pretty as a Picture Dress

For the feature panels I chose to use a set of two handkerchiefs my great-grandmother gave me when I was a girl. I thought this was a good way to rescue them from a life spent in the back of the closet and turn them into something even more meaningful.

Pretty as a Picture Dress

Pretty as a Picture Dress

By the way, now I've made each of the projects in the "Baby" chapter in Handmade Beginnings at least once! I think so far it has been my most-used craft book!

Pretty as a Picture Dress

2 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

V is such a lucky girl - she has an amazing wardrobe. I loved this when I saw you load it in flickr but now I know that's your great-grandma's hanky I think my heart just exploded. That's so sweet and meaningful..you've created an heirloom piece (bwahaha, you can never get rid of it now). I also think it's pretty cool that you met your great-grandma (all of my great-grandparents died before I was born). Do you remember much about her?

Franziska said...

Sieht so toll aus! Echt schön.
Brauche ich das Buch auch? Aber meine sind schon raus aus dem Alter oder?