Tuesday, March 18, 2014

some machine embroidery and FMQ



Last week the theme of the patchwork course I'm taking was quilting and I finally had the courage and motivation to try some machine embroidery and Free Motion Quilting. It was such fun to try out a technique I was afraid of for so long and see that it's like with any other crafty thing: you just need to try it and practise!



I was really inspired by the possibilities of the machine embroidery in particular. For some time now I've been wanting to draw a bit more again, but haven't been feeling too inspired. This could be a fun way to mix things up.



We were having a beautiful day when I was making this, so I stitched some little flowers, leaves and a little butterfly.



For my FMQ project I cut into my piece of the Loulouthi Summer Totem print I've been hoarding. (One of my coursemates was a bit horrified that I was able to cut into it ...) I'm planning on quilting it and then turning it into a big rectangular cushion cover. It's fun to practise my stitching on this lovely piece of fabric and the pattern is so beautiful in itself that I think my less than perfect stitching won't be too noticeable in the finished product.







I hope I'll be able to finish this soon, this lovely fabric is perfect for Spring!

2 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

What a great idea! And what a great use for that beautiful fabric - you'll get to see it every day. Perfect!

Franziska said...

Wie schön, daß Du Dich getraut hast. Das sieht doch vielversprechend aus.