Wednesday, February 19, 2014

fabric play with curves and circles



This little pile is fabric I picked out to play with in a patchwork course I am taking right now. I've been to the course twice so far and it has been such fun and I've already learned a lot of new things and helpful little tricks. The theme of the course is Curves and Circles and we are learning different techniques to cut and piece those shapes.



Here you can see a sample of the different techniques we've been trying.



These bikes and cobblestones will be sewn into a little curvy patchwork square.



Last week we learned a technique to make perfect circles with the help of freezer paper. Above is my first version. One of my classmates had the brilliant idea to fussy cut the circle, and of course I had to try that right away as well:



I think it looks really pretty and I love to see how choosing a different fabric affects the look of the block so much! Fun! Taking part in the course has been quite a spontaneous decision, which I'm glad I made. And I tried to keep my fabric choices etc. quite spontaneous as well and not to overthink or fret too much about which print to choose for what technique and so on. It's fun to work like that, concentrating on the process of making and not to worry too much about the outcome. My plan is to make a quilt with all the samples we make in the course and I would like to keep the quilt quite spontaneous as well. Let's see what will become of those little exercises in fabric! It's nice to venture out of one's crafting comfort zone once in a while. :-)

4 comments:

Franziska said...

Klingt gut! Viel Spaß weiterhin!

Mari said...

Sounds like so much fun! Can I ask where are you taking the course? I haven't come a cross any patchwork related stuff in Finland.

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Wow- those circles are perfect! Well done on your technique! I really love the fussy cut one. It will be fun to see the quilt that comes from all your blocks.

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Wow- those circles are perfect! Well done on your technique! I really love the fussy cut one. It will be fun to see the quilt that comes from all your blocks.