Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Daisy Chain Sampler finish



It only took me about 3 years ... ;-) Finally, I finished my Daisy Chain Sampler and had it framed! I think it is so pretty and all those imperfections and little creases stemming from my emroidery "skillz" don't even bother me anymore! Actually, I have to say that after making this, I've become quite confident in my embroidery skills. This design incorporates so many different stitches and those are so well explained, that I'd like to try something similar again. French knots are fun now, not scary! :-D

When I first started the sampler, I actually made quite fast progress. It's motivating to be able to work from letter to letter and so having small little goals you can achieve relatively quickly. Around "W" I had some problems with the stitches and was not happy with my work, so I set it aside for a while. For a long while as it turned out ... This is not the first project that was abandoned so close to the finish line. Does that happen to you, too? Anyways, at the start of this year, boosted by some New Year motivation, I finished it really quickly and it made me feel so proud of myself! Hehe! :-)



I'm really happy with the frame I chose. I'm always a bit insecure, since the finished framed work always looks a bit different than when you just try to hold different frame samples next to your artwork and imagine how it will look. Luckily, I really like this one. I think the chapped look suits the retro and romantic feel of the sampler really well. I treated myself to having it framed for my birthday.

Here's a pic before it was framed: 



Now I just have to decide where to hang it ... For now it looks really pretty on top of that shelf, though! :-)

I've finished and made some other little things, mostly for V., but for some reason feel very unsuccessful about taking good pictures of them. At the moment it's very grey outside again, but even when we had sunshine last week, I was lacking some photoraphy vision ... I hope I'll get out of that rut again, soon. It's so nice to have good pics of one's projects as a souvenir and also it makes me happy and motivates me sharing them here and on my flickr.

I'm thinking about what to make V. for summer clothing (we're all set for winter and spring, I think, thanks to Christmas gifts and a couple of items I made!). I think some leggings, shorts and cute T-shirts made with the Briar Rose knits I bought last summer would be great! Let's see! I'll try to keep you posted! Have a lovely rest of the week!

7 comments:

Jessie Fincham @ Messy Jesse said...

oh wow!!! This is absolutely gorgeous! Well done on completing it :) and thank you for your lovely comment on my blog - I love Groundhog Day too! I'll look out for that quilt next time I watch it ;) xo

Alicia P. said...

Oh, fantastic Eva! And worth the wait! xoxox, alicia

Franziska said...

Dann lass den Rahmen erstmal dort. Er macht sich gut dort. Gratuliere, daß du das Ufo geschafft hast. Mein Respekt, das sieht toll aus. Vielleicht irgendwann mal in Vs Zimmer?
Ich habe auch so viele Ufos, in verschiedenen Stadien. Furchtbar. Es gibt aber auch so viel Tolles...
Ich mache auch gern schöne Bilder als Erinnerung.
Für V wäre der freie OttobreHut vielleicht etwas? Ein Klassiker hier.

Carolina Ellis said...

Wooooow, Eva! I enlarged it on my screen so that I could see every detail of all the stitches - you did a WONDERFUL job. I know that "w" made you stop the presses but good on you for picking it back up and finishing. Congratulations!

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Oh wow, I see I've missed a couple of posts...this is fantastic! There's so much work in this, I don't blame you for having a little rest at W ;-) I think Q, P and Z are my favourites, especially the flowers on Q.
I really love your fabric choices for the divided basket in your last post too. That's a great pattern for having fun with your stash, I think. I have been contemplating making one for on top of our bathroom cabinet, however I would have to play around with the dimensions which is making me baulk. But I really hate seeing all the cough medicines and bandaids, etc sitting up there, I'd love to disguise them in fabric.

Mari said...

Wow! Looks lovely!

Stephanie said...

Way to go on the finish! I too just finished mine (like yesterday!) after three years of working on it here and there. Found your blog when I was looking up how to frame it. :)