Thursday, March 14, 2013

crib bumper

crib bumper10

I finished the crib bumper! Yay! *Throws arms into the air like the little toy frog.*

crib bumper09

Again, I used fabric from my Noteworthy FQ bundle, this time the blue, grey and off-white fabrics. I loosely followed the instructions in Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby. I adapted the width of the finished panels to fit our crib and assembled strips cut from the fat quarters, 30 cm tall and with random widths. For the outside of the bumper I alternated Noteworthy strips with pieces of grey solid cotton. I quilted in the ditch of the inside panel at random intervals to add some stability.

crib bumper07

The ties are quite short, which is good for safety reasons, I guess. I just don't know if they'd be long enough for a crib with broader bars, so that would be something to try out if you'd like to make a bumper as well.

crib bumper04

I'm really happy with how it turned out, the colours are really soothing and the prints so lovely, in my opinion. The crib looks much more cozy with the bumper, so I'm glad I made one.

crib bumper03

We didn't buy a lot of baby clothes, but I couldn't resist buying this little onesie when I discovered Virkkukoukkunen's Helsinki shop last week.

ihmistaimi onesie

The picture is hand-drawn and there are no two exactly the same. The text says "human seedling". You can see their range of onesies here. The Helsinki shop is really lovely, they have a great little selection of Robert Kaufman fabrics, including Ann Kelle laminates. The staff was really nice and helpful as well. I'll definitely go back there to buy some fabric in the future! It's so difficult to find quilting cottons in Finland, so I'm glad I found their shop!

1 comment:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Your nursery is looking so lovely, Eva. I agree that the colours and prints are so soothing and peaceful - your baby will have no choice but to be a zenbub!
I love all of your homemade touches, they add so much warmth to the room. All you need now is a baby!