Tuesday, March 5, 2013

changing table storage and a block

changing table004

Here is my latest sewn storage project, after the fabric basket and -bowls! I've been really reluctant to talk about this on the blog for some reason, but (as you might suspect now ...) we're having a baby! Soon! :-) So now you know, and also understand what I've been making all those baskets for. Nesting Fabric Bowls, indeed!

changing table001

I used more of my Noteworthy FQ bundle, some natural linen and some old curtains. The changing table is a very basic design from Ikea and I made the fabric pockets to make access to all the baby changing paraphernalia easier.

changing table003

I kind of eyeballed the size of the pockets, and it seems they turned out quite well to hold diapers, baby wipes and so on. There's a similar pocket panel on the other side.

changing table05

To make the storage pockets, I measured the table and decided on the size of the pockets. The linen background is ten centimetres higher than the pockets. I fused fusible fleece to the backs of the pocket panels and the linen and lined the pockets with the yellow curtain fabric. I then machine-basted the lined and topstitched pocket panels to the linen background around the bottom and sides and stitched it to the background along the panel seams.

changing table05

Then I added the yellow middle panel and some bias binding ties and backed it all with the curtain fabric. Easy peasy, and it does look quite nice as well, I think! :-)

I'm sewing quite a lot at the moment, all the time starting new projects and sometimes even finishing WIPs. When Jeni at In Color Order published her design for the Aurifil Block of the Month on Sunday, I couldn't resist giving it a try!

Aurifil Block of the Month - March

I used scraps in happy saturated colours and even decided to incorporate some leftover flannel. I was quite impatient to see the result, so this is not my finest piecing. Should have trimmed those HSTs! I think this block is really cool and scrap friendly and a couple of them would make a lovely little quilt! Well, let's see ...! Next, I would like to make a crib bumper and finish the feature panel fabric bowls, time and energy permitting. :-)

bumpy view

2 comments:

Mari said...

Congratulations! That baby is going to be surrounded with so many beautiful things :)

The Muse of The Day said...

HOORAY!!!!!!
I am so excited that things are moving along so well!!!!!!
When my children were little, I kissed them sooo much, I thought I was smothering them - now I only wished I had kissed them some more. That is my only baby advice - kiss them as much as possible.
When are you due? Anytime soon? A girl? A boy? Sewing for the baby must seem like so much fun. I remember all the beautiful things you made for your friends babies... now it is your turn. HOORAY!!! Your changing table turned out beautiful. And how perfect your pockets turned out. That first moment when it is just you and the baby at the changing table will bring tears to your eyes.

I am crossing my fingers for you that all goes smoothly. I am selfishly hoping we will see pictures of the baby.

Good luck,

Carolina

I see that Mari commented too - I really like her.