Friday, November 30, 2012

bubble dress

I was waiting for better light, but who was I kidding ...

bubble dress0003

This little dress is for our little niece. Her mother asked whether I'd like to sew something for her to wear on her christening day after the ceremony. Of course I said yes. The only wish was that the dress be lilac, otherwise I had free reign.

bubble dress0001

I chose a pattern from the most recent Ottobre Design magazine. Here you can see a picture of the dress as it appears in the magazine. I had enough of this lilac Alexander Henry Heath fabric to make the dress and I chose the Loulouthi Clippings print for the piping and little bow to add a bit of contrast.

bubble dress0002

That little bow was quite tricky to make, but it sure does look cute!

bubble dress0004

As does the bubble hem! The dress is fully lined with a white cotton muslin. It was really fun seeing how this pattern comes together. The only part I'm not completely happy with is the "invisible" zipper in the back, which I wasn't able to make as invisible as I'd have liked.

bubble dress0005

Fortunately, there will be a cute baby wearing it, distracting from any imperfections in the craftsmanship! :-) I can't wait to see it on her!

4 comments:

Mari said...

Lovely! One of those dresses the little girl will treasure for ever!

Andrea said...

super cute. :) Btw, have you tried one of these: http://www.allbrands.com/products/9500-janome-35-200333001-concealed-invisible-zipper-foo?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_term=Janome&gclid=CMG1qYGM97MCFWrZQgodNzMAaQ. I've only used the foot on pillowcases, but it worked really well.

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Eva! I'm happy I found your lovely blog! This dress is beautiful as your other works as well! Thank you for Finnish photos!
Finnish wishes from Greece!

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

It's gorgeous - no way anyone is going to notice the zip! I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. Note to Eva: don't mention it :)
I am smitten by the bubble hem. I had one of these skirts when I was 14 in green taffeta; it was horrendous (think the 80s) but this is one is downright elegant. I hope your niece gets some sisters so the dress gets lots of wear.