Tuesday, November 13, 2012

baby blankets

My summer hasn't been totally without sewing. I made two little flannel backed baby blankets. The first was for a friend's little guy and I used a Loulouthi flannel for the backing and the front is from Oh Boy! by David Walker.

boy blanket0004

As with other similar blankets I've made, I used a simple white flannel instead of batting. I simply rounded the corners and quilted some lines in a grid after turning. Also I top-stitched closely around the edges. It was really simple to make and I think using a striking fabric like the Loulouthi flannel makes it look fun and interesting.

boy blanket0003

The second blanket was for our newborn niece. I used fabrics precious to me, a print from Anna Maria Horner's Good Folks and a Folksy Flannel backing. I followed the instructions for the scalloped baby blanket in Bend-the-Rules Sewing. Those scallops are so pretty and go so well with those fabrics, I think!

girl blanket0003

Lovely sunny colours for a winter baby! :-)

girl blanket0001

Here in Helsinki it has been mostly gray and I'm already in the mood for Christmas. I really want to make a couple of these! How cute are they?! I already have the book, so there aren't any excuses for holding back with the Holiday sewing!

1 comment:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Love these - you are brave with the scallops, they look scary hard! You know I'm right there with you in your love of AMH flannels, they are so pretty and snuggly. I really like the David Walker lines too, I made a quilt from one about 3 years ago. His designs are sweet but not too sweet, if you know what I mean?
I have to ask how you find sewing with the two layers of flannel - do you change your tension or anything like that? The one time I tried to use flannel as batting I had a terrible time with loose stitches - I'm not sure if it was me, the machine or the flannel!