Thursday, February 9, 2012

this and that

So, this last week I've been up to all kinds of stuff ... Over the weekend, we visited Stockholm with J.'s family. We went by ferry and had an afternoon to visit the city. I had grand plans of taking lots of pictures, but my camera didn't quite co-operate. It was so cold, it shut down all the time, so I only have this tiny mosaic to show you:

Picnik collage

The weather was beautifully sunny and Stockholm really is a beautiful city. It was so cold, though, that we didn't spend much time exploring it. Especially since I had a cold already. We went inside one department store, because I wanted to see what's new in Swedish tableware and fabric design. There really are some pretty things. I especially loved this fabric, but didn't buy any, because I couldn't really think of what to do with it. But I think I'll definitely use the colour palette as inspiration in the future.

I also did some sewing, I finished my second Swoon block:

Swoon block no. 2

Again, I couldn't manage entirely without my seam ripper, but it was smoother sailing than with the last one. I really like the colours of this one. I'm a bit nervous about how it will all come together, though. I tried to group the fabrics in pairs that kind of clash and I like that idea, I just hope it will all look nice in the finished quilt!

I also made the February HST Block:

February BoM

I really like this flying geese pattern! I'm again already looking forward to the next block! I will try to use some different fabric for that one. For this one I wanted fabrics that would blend well to make very homogenous flying geese blocks, but I've got some other prints I'd like to include in these sampler blocks.

I got this print in the mail:

Paris Print

It was a birthday present from J. and it's the Paris Map Print from Famille Summerbelle. I really love it and the colour is perfect. Now I just have to find a nice frame for it!

Today, I've got a day off and plan to spend some quality time with some good tea and a couple of magazines.

magazines

There's Mollie Makes issue 10 and February's Elle Interiör to pore over. There are so many inspiring things and colour palettes in both of them. Perfect for a post-flu lazy day in!

Daisychain Q

As is stitching away at my Daisychain ABC's! I'm at R now and as I make progress with this sampler my embroidery skills develop. I actually like making french knots now! Those little daisies are so pretty, I can't believe I stitched them!

I hope you'll have time to do some small things that bring you joy this week, too!

3 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Ooh, what a busy post! So glad your trip went well. Have you tried hanging your camera around your neck under your coat so that it stays warm with your body heat? The cold saps your batteries' energy, so if you can keep it warm and only pull it out to snap and then put it back again it will be okay. That's what I had to do on our recent ski trip. I looked like I had an alien baby about to burst out of my chest (as my camera is quite bulky), but hey, it still worked!
Loving the swoon and of course the embroidery. Those daisies are the best. I haven't tried French knots yet, but one day I will get up the nerve! I'm slowly working my way through my new embroidery book trying all sorts of stitches.
Love the Famille Summerbelle cut out too - we have the world map one and it is so much fun to look at. You find something new everytime you look. Blows me away that someone hand cut it!

The Muse of The Day said...

I love the glimpse into EVERYTHING POST. It is so much fun to be on the other side of this earth and see what you are up to. Carolina

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Oooo I've never been to Stockholm but I've always wanted to visit!