Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tangerine Pearl Quilt

Tangerine Pearl Quilt finished

The baby quilt I was working on is finished! I really like how it came out and I decided to call it Tangerine Pearl, because a) Kirsty made me aware of the fact that tangerine is Pantone's colour of the year and b) the little girl I made it for is called Helmi, which means ... you guessed it ... pearl. And the shades of gray have something of the sheen of a pearl to them, so it somehow all works out ...

Tangerine Pearl Quilt binding

The binding in a darker colour really gives a nice frame and finishing touch to this quilt, I think. I have to say that there were times when I shied away from orangey fabric, but in combination with the grays and purple it really is very pretty. There will definitely be more citrus fruit colour in my sewing in the future!

Tangerine Pearl Quilt back detail

The flannel backing is so, so soft and pretty in itself. It really is perfect for a baby quilt, especially for a baby born in winter.

Tangerine Pearl Quilt detail

So snuggly! :-) I decided to enter the quilt in the Tangerine Tango Challenge over at flickr. There are so many great entries in that group! Tangerine really packs a punch! :-)

As an end note, I'm a bit sad to see that picnik is closing. I've really enjoyed playing with their great and fun features lately, as you might have noticed. Now I'm thinking about what to do when I feel like adding something extra to my photographs in the future. I have Photoshop Elements and want to learn more about using it. Do you have any good tips about books on Photoshop Elements or do you know anything about Google+ which apparently offers similar features to picnik? Your thoughts and advice would be really welcome! :-)

Have a great day!

5 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Oh snap, I was going to say you should enter that comp - I'm going to enter something too ( I saw the challenge on Ali's blog). I really love this Eva, I love the ducks and dots together, the classiness of the grey and how you've incorporated the plummy shades which I would never have thought to do. Normally when we think citrus we think spring/summer, but you've made this such a cozy winter blankie. Really lovely colour combinations. She is a lucky little pearl!
I can't believe picnik is closing - I was just about to teach myself how to make mosaics with it! I am guessing they will reopen as a google product? Probably a paying one too :((. What happened to the good old days of getting something for nothing! :P

The Muse of The Day said...

That quilt is BEAUTIFUL.
I think the strong orange works so well against the pearlescent grey. What a surprise it was to see the fabric on the back. I didn't expect it, I wanted to reach out and touch it. This is my favorite of your baby quilts. Carolina

Kulkija said...

Beautiful <3

cinzia said...

lovely quilt. I like the flannel backing. so snuggly!

Jessie said...

Such a nice quilt! One of my favorites from the challenge pool!