Tuesday, January 31, 2012

my first Swoon block

It's finished! My first Swoon block!

1st Swoon block!

The fabric had been cut for some time already, but I finally got around to sewing it! I finished the block all in one sitting, because I was so curious to see how it would turn out, that I just couldn't stop before. It's not perfect, but I still think it's really pretty. The making of the block was much easier than I thought, although that doesn't mean I didn't use the seam ripper ... My impatience resulted in pieces being sewn on the wrong way or to the wrong seam ... However, in the end it all came together.

Swoon block no. 1, detail

I think the size of this block is a great motivator. It made me keep on sewing for longer as I usually would have on a workday. I'm really looking forward to how all the blocks will look together. I was thinking about my choice of making a solid Swoon and I am still happy with it, although it definitely is a great pattern to showcase prints.

Swoon detail with Camilla Engman calendar

I also like the colours of this block. They are a bit out of my comfort zone, but they have this really nice almost vintage vibe to them, I think. They go really well with the January page of the Camilla Engman calendar I got myself for Christmas.

Swoon no.1 detail

Such a pretty pattern! J. likes it as well and even asked me if we could keep this one for ourselves for a change. Yes, we can! :-)

4 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

The block definitely has a vintage vib to it, and it DOES go really well with the calendar. It has the same vibe to it. If you look at the first picture in this post, the one showcasing the entire Swoon block ( which turned out great BTW ), and then squint your eyes and focus on the Grren fabric, and then switch to focusing on the brown fabric still with your eyes squinting you should see the "play" that the fabric shapes do ... This sounds confusing, but I would consider that "play" if & when you do this block with patterned fabrics. i.e. Which colors move forward (warm?) vs. which colors recede (cool?) I think you should finish the whole Swoon quilt and the RIGHT AWAY start on the patterned one. I would be shocked if it didn't turn out fabulous. Carolina

The Muse of The Day said...

Obviously my spelling is affected when it is past my bedtime. Carolina

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Oh yes, I agree definitely a retro feel to it. How awesome it matches your calendar and doubly awesome J is on board with it. Just how big are the finished blocks? I guess they must be huge as the queen size I think is only 9 blocks. Looking forward to seeing them all done!

Lauren said...

I love the colors you've chosen. They look great.