Tuesday, November 8, 2011

just trying something ...

IMG_6457_2_1

During the last week, I didn't have much time for sewing and the sewing I did get done was very much trial and even more error ... I wanted to make a pillow cover as a present and had the idea of free-motion quilting the front. Since I'm really new to that technique, that idea probably wasn't that smart. Of course, I haven't finished the pillow, yet, but I'll show you what I did.

IMG_6463_1_1

Above you can see the layout of the pillow front and also the areas where things went very wrong. Also, I'm not so sure about that border. Everything seems quite "blah" to me, although I really love those fabrics together. (That's fabric from Cut out and Keep by Heather Moore for Cloud9 and the mustard fabric is from Laura Gunn's Magnolia.)

IMG_6464_2_1

So, this is where I started with the quilting and then realized two things: a) I should have practised on some scraps first and b) using your regular sewing machine foot for free motion quilting is just not working ...

IMG_6465_3_1

Here I exchanged the foot for the appropriate machine embroidery one, but since I'm stubborn didn't move on to scraps but kept trying on the cushion cover. I was attempting to quilt the centre squares in this pattern that I saw on the Oh, Fransson! blog. This second attempt is actually not all that bad, considering, but still not making me happy ...

IMG_6456_1_1

And this is the 3rd attempt that yielded the best result and also the one where I ran out of time ... I think I'll rip out the first two and quilt them anew, and then I'll quilt in straight lines around the centre squares with the walking foot ... I hope that once the quilting is finished and the back added, I'll like that pillow a bit better!

IMG_6459_4_1

Here it's really autumnal and actually quite pretty and warm for this time of year! I hope all of you have a nice day!

3 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Well done for giving it a go - I still haven't tried FMQ. I love that Cut out and Keep line, especially the red with the clouds. I think your third try looks just fine too, so I guess that's your practice over! :)) I love your choice of motif for the squares, it really matches the forest-y type patterns on the other fabrics. Good luck - I look forward to seeing it at the end!

Annie said...

What a coincidence ... I just bought some of the Cut Out and Keep winter tree fabric myself. II do like the way you've balanced the colours here :D

The Muse of The Day said...

I can't believe it only took you three tries to get it looking so good. I wood have had to work on some scraps first and then, and only then, I think I would have needed to draw the line on the fabric otherwise my free motion quilting would have been over the top F-R-E-E, flower-child-free. I am in awe of how neat your sewing always is - both machine and hand stitched. In no time flat you will have all the mustard colored squares done right, keep going. Carolina