Monday, November 14, 2011

fall colour pillow

IMG_6502_28_1

So, after some more trial and error, I finished the pillow I was working on last week. I am actually quite happy with my free motion skills now, although there is some room for improvement. I will definitely use this technique again in the future!

IMG_6505_31_1

After quilting the leaf shapes, I quilted some straight lines with my walking foot, following the orientation of the fabric pieces.

IMG_6481_7_1

I shadow-quilted the yellow border, but then decided to stop there and leave the outer border as it is. I wanted it to complement the "bounciness" of the leaves and I think it works well like this.

IMG_6490_16_1

I used the Hydrangea print for the back and added a zipper to the bottom of the pillow.

IMG_6485_11_1

This is actually the first pillow cover I made I'm happy with in terms of fit to pillow form. I used a 50x50cm pillow form from Ikea and I cut the squares 48x48cm, including 1cm seam allowance throughout, so it's 46x46cm finished size. I think the batting also adds some nice bounciness.

IMG_6499_25_1

The back is actually really pretty in itself and if the recipients don't like the front, they always can turn it around, I guess. But I actually like the pillow now as it is. So much, actually, that I decided to enter it into the cool Celebrate Color contest over at Stitched in Color.

IMG_6500_26_1

The contest is all about celebrating fall colour and using inspiration from nature in sewing and other crafts. I usually prefer cooler colours, but I love autumn and the sight of leaves turning all kinds of beautiful shades from golden to burgundy. Autumn means long walks, apple pie and cozy evenings at home for me, so I think the pillow really fits in well with the theme. I made a little collage to show you what I mean:




I hope you have a beautiful autumnal week and maybe you'll be inspired to make something as well by the things you see around you. :-)

8 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

How lovely! The perfect colours for the season, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

This is just lovely :D

millefeuilles said...

What a beautiful piece of work! It is wonderful to be inspired and to put that inspiration into practice.

Greetings from France.

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Yay, it looks great! I really love the mix of FMQ with the dense straight line quilting. And the backing fabric is perfect, well done.

Blueberry Park said...

i absolutely adore this! Cloud 9 fabrics are some of my faves and I just love how you have pieced them together in this pillow ;-)

The Muse of The Day said...

E-V-A ... it is spectacular. The leaves just pop out. our quilting and zipper are pure perfection, typical of your work. I love how dramatic the back color is, it gives a totally different look from the front. The front is cozy just like your description of fall. The last image (the collage) is really impressive. If ever you wanted to sell this pillow, (I read that it already slated to some lucky person), this image of the collage would be a great advertisement. Not only are all your pillow colors in there, but the MOOD is dripping from the image. I think the fact that there is so much mood in that image makes it stand out. I wonder if there is a way for you to make your images like that one bigger on your blog. It visually is very strong because it tells the whole story. When I click on it, the image pops up, nice and big, with the dark background behind it - it is a very strong image that way. The layout of the different images within it is also strong - I love, love how the pillow colors show up in all the images of nature. The bowl of pinecones reminds me this is a time for gathering. The light falling on the apples has so much mood that it makes me want to bake apple pie right now- and it is only 6 AM here. Very successful. I am impressed. I have got to take the girls to school now, otherwise I would stare at that image a little longer. They have vacation (10 days) starting tomorrow after school. Yippee!!! We have guests staying with us and we also have a foreign student from China staying with us. Should be a full house, but without the driving to school I will have time to look at these pictures again. Your pillow turned out FANTASTIC. Of course you should enter it, it totally celebrates your colors of fall. Carolina

Rachel Hauser said...

Oh, I love it! I really like the fabrics and the quilting. Thanks so much for adding it in!

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

I love everything about this pillow! :)