Tuesday, October 25, 2011

fall magazine inspiration

cup

Now that it's getting colder again, I'm drawn more than usual to beautiful books and magazines for lots of eye-candy and inspiration. It is so much fun and relaxing to read a nice magazine and drink a cup of tea on your day off, which is just what I did today. I bought the October issue of Elle Interiör, one of my favourite magazines.

elle interiör october 2011

This issue has a lot of great decorating ideas and the homes shown are beautiful and inspiring, as usual. I wish I spoke Swedish to learn more about the creative people living in those homes. Since Swedish is related to German, I can guess at some of the written content, though. But even without the text, the pictures really speak for themselves.

elle interiör bookshelf

I love this little bookshelf by David Design! This would be so cute next to our bed or even above the sofa. And I think it is so beautifully styled here, with the pretty book covers and the bird so fittingly perched on top of them! Since I own a couple of these Penguin Hardcover Classics, with cover design by Coralie Bickford-Smith, I was inspired to set up a little display on our bedroom dresser.

display

At the moment I feel that I want to change the look of our home a bit, but don't really know exactly what and how, so it is really fun and satisfying to play around with a display from things I already have and that I can change around whenever I want.

display close

There are two of my favourite things in this pic: my favourite pin, a Coco Chanel Medal of General Valour by Katariina Guthwert and my favourite book, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Also, the postcard is of one of my favourite paintings, A Satyr mourning over a Nymph by Piero di Cosimo. I am so happy that I was able to see it at The National Gallery during our visit in London this summer!

palette

Fabric obsessed as I am, I used the beautiful colour palette spread in the magazine as a guideline to build a stack of coordinating fabrics. I had a match to every colour that was featured. So this either means that a): this magazine really is perfect for me and caters REALLY well to my tastes or b): I have too much fabric.

fabric pile, inspired by elle interiör

I think I'll go with a) ...

12 comments:

Tori said...

Great post! I'm also obsessed with fabric so knowing that I'm not alone makes me feel better: ) I love the way you staged your pictures!

I'm stopping by from BYW!

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Repeat after me Eva: there can never be too much fabric. I am loving that colour spectrum - I have a thing for the neutrals too at the moment. With the deep green/turquoise (not sure what you'd call it) it is really calming I think. Toasted beaches with tropical green lagoons...
I am crazy about interior magazines too, they are a bad addiction to have as they are expensive and then I can't bring myself to throw them out. I really love those decorative cover books they have there, very nice. As long as they have your favourites in your preferred colour scheme :)
So you speak German, Finnish and English, and can have a guess at Swedish. Absolutely amazing!

Sophie said...

Hi Eva,
What a lovely post! I love the colour story you've created alongside your magazine review. Turquoise is one of my favourite colours! I really enjoyed reading your post! :)

Igor Josifovic said...

Hi Eva! I love your post, too - I like the way you play with the colour and tie everything together. Plus I love to see how you already do what we learn at BYW - like showing magazines on your table with a cup of tea etc. Perfect! Hugs from Munich, Igor xoxo

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Hello! This is such a fun post for me to see because I am a huge magazine addict! I love snuggling up with a new issue when it's cold outside. Off to explore your lovely blog! xx

The Muse of The Day said...

OMG E-V-A
I want to drink that cup of tea. When I saw that first photo, I wanted to just jump through my laptop screen and have that cup of tea. The colors, the fabrics, the layout. All of it - WOW. When I was in college, I lived in Boston close to a store that sold international design magazines at outrages prices - I devoured them skipping and hopping through them guessing at what the words said the whole time. I could really use that cup of tea and a great magazine today. Loved the post. Carolina

starrybluesky said...

You did a great job with this post - styled beautifully. I am particularly impressed that you managed to find a fabric to match each colour in the palette !

Hilary Inspired said...

Hi Eva! I'm visiting from the BYW class and so happy that I did. You've done a beautiful job featuring your current magazine reads. I agree, there is nothing more relaxing than a hot cup of tea and a good magazine. Can't wait to dive into my pile anxiously waiting on my bedside table!

Thanks for sharing!

Nordljus said...

Wonderful post (I discovered your blog in BYW), I love that magazine too, and Earl Grey tea :). Those fabrics are gorgeous, I can well understand why you chose them!

Eva said...

Thank you all so very much! :-)

Mary Middleton Design said...

Ohhh those colours are great together. Plus I want to site down drink the tea and read that lovely magazine - well browse it as I couldn't read it :) (fab BYW)

Annie said...

You can never have too much fabric, or yarn ;D