Monday, May 9, 2011

Spring

IMG_6062_1_1

In this picture you can see a Maibaum, or maypole, which is a symbol of spring in many places.

IMG_6063_2_1

Last week, J. and I spent a couple of days with my family in Germany, including the 1st of May. We were mostly in my home village and enjoyed time with my family and took walks outside.

IMG_6066_5_1

It was really great to visit and see my family and also soak up some beautiful greenness and sun!

IMG_6067_6_1

Fortunately, spring has slowly arrived to Helsinki as well, otherwise it would have been quite tough to return ...

IMG_6054_3_1

J. and I also spent an afternoon in the nearby town of Marburg, where I studied and where we met about 9 years ago!

IMG_6055_4_1

Marburg has a medieval town centre and beautifully cared for old houses. The Brothers Grimm lived here for a time, and I think the town really has a fairy tale atmosphere. Especially since moving to Finland, when I come back it really reminds me of the stories the brothers collected, partly also in the area around Marburg.

IMG_6056_5_1

IMG_6052_1_1

IMG_6058_7_1

Being an university town, Marburg offers a lot of little cafés and bistros where one can eat well for affordable prices. Also, it combines old and new, as in this advertisement for a comic book store:

IMG_6060_9_1

Marburg citizens need not worry, Spidey's watching ... ;-)

I'm really feeling energized by spring, maybe even too much, because I think I have some kind of craft ADD. I started a new project yesterday (with quite some unfinished projects lying around ...). Inspired by spring and by Sarah Fielke's stunning new book, I decided I want to make one of the dolly quilts from it. Of course the quilt's name is ... Spring (it's the quilt that's in the quilting hoop on the book's cover).

I received the book last week and love it! I especially like the dolly quilt idea, so many new techniques that can be tried out in a small and manageable project! I decided to make the Spring quilt first, because I had almost all the materials already (except for the pre-made bias tape ...) And since it's appliqué, I can work on it in front of the TV, something that's is just perfect from time to time!!!

IMG_6072_1_1

I cut out the leaves and the butterfly yesterday and I really think this will be very fun to make! This also taught me some things about my stash:

Some of them I already knew, like that I love fabrics that have either aqua or olive green or both in them, but I was surprised that my stash is actually quite varied. Don't get me wrong, I know that I have quite a lot of fabric, but I always thought that my tastes are somewhat narrow and limited. I got a nice variety of fabrics for the leaves, though, and they are not too matchy-matchy, I think. (The instructions call for scraps, but I cut the leaves out of fat quarters or half yards I horded ... Anyone else do that?! :-P) Also, I have more florals than I thought:

IMG_6073_2_1

I love fabrics that are spotty in some way:

IMG_6075_4_1

And I'm drawn to fabrics that in some way remind me of formica table tops like on the kitchen table we had when I was a child.

IMG_6078_7_1

I also like:

  • stripes
  • other geometric prints
  • slightly retro prints with a mid-century modern feel
  • novelty prints showing animals (especially birds), insects, kitchen appliances, crockery, sock monkeys and buildings
IMG_6070_9_1

(isn't this one perfect? It's a pillow in my father's house, I think I have to ask if I can have it next time and make a new one in return ...)
  • prints that contain lettering, writing or newsprint
  • batik effects
and
  • prints with simple hand-drawn (or apparently hand-drawn) designs like for example Megumi Sakakibara's prints
What about you? What kind of prints are out there that you can't resist?

4 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Fantastic photographs - how green is that grass! Amazing. Love all those medieval buildings, especially that strange fellow hanging off/holding up the dragon. What on earth happened to his knees :)

I had to laugh at your list of what fabrics you like. Sounds like it's pretty hard to find a fabric you DONT like! That's a pretty extensive list! A girl after my own heart!
Thanks for sharing, glad you had a great trip (I love the romance too - visiting where you first met, *sigh*)

Eva said...

Haha! :D After I hit "publish post" I realized the same thing ... Quite a fabric epiphany: I like ALL fabric!!! :-P Stay tuned for more posts full with unique insight from me ...! :-D

The Muse of The Day said...

This is my favorite post of yours ever! I feel like I got more "Eva" than any other post. Your stash - we could go on forever there. I love your fabrics, all of them. I too will cut out a flower or a leaf of a fat quarter- If I love it and have it, I use it. I truly loved hearing your insight as to the connection you made between your fabric choices and the fond memories of Formica countertops from your childhood.
Going home must have been awesome - like drinking your favorite cup of tea after a long absence from it. Seeing all that "spring" going on must have been tough to leave, even if Helsinki is showing signs of warming up. MY most favorite part of all? All those old buildings in Marburg. I would like to see you make a quilt of each one of those buildings, especially the one with the red trim. I would like to live in Marburg for an entire year. I would spend every minute trying to become one of the Brothers Grimm. "Carolina Grimm" ... I kind of like the sound of that. If I ever get over there, I am going to write you so that we can meet. I am filing this one away. Great post. Carolina

The Muse of The Day said...

Yes, totally cool. I just spent the last hour reading about Marburg - it is definitely on my list of place to see. Carolina