Tuesday, April 26, 2011

quick spring project

IMG_6049_1_1

Happy Tuesday! I hope you all had a beautiful Easter! I had an annoying cold last week, but fortunately I was better in time for the holidays! We've been having beautiful weather here and I was itching to make something spring-related. But with my energy-levels still low from the cold, it had to be something quick and simple.

IMG_6045_1_1

Enter the trusty table runner ...! I had painted this small piece of linen some time ago. I had wanted to experiment a bit with painting on fabric and creating a simple pattern and this is what I came up with. I've been reading some books by Lotta Jansdotter and I think it shows!

IMG_6047_3_1

The drawing was really easy and I love the combination of the dove grey and the linen. Also, I wanted the brush-strokes to be quite thin and transparent to emphasize that it was painted on by hand.

IMG_6046_2_1

I simply straightened the sides of the fabric and sewed a narrow hem. I fringed the short sides to play on the handmade and imperfect theme a bit more.

IMG_6051_4_1

This little runner in combination with these beautiful tulips was just the right thing to celebrate the arrival of spring!

2 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

I, too, love linen, there is something so timeless about it. Your paint job on it turned out great. I think putting the paint down in light wisps is better than blotted down as if silkscreened. It keeps it lighter, airier. What kind of paint did you use? I think having the fringe on the shorter sides only accentuates the shape of the table- good call. I am glad Spring is also arriving to your corner of the world. They say if you get a Spring cold, you will be healthy the rest of the summer. Sounds like a plan. Carolina

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

The painting is fab - what a great idea. I really like that motif you've chosen, very elegant, very spring! (Love the tulips too, gorgeous)