Monday, April 18, 2011

Alice in the Candy Store - finished!

Alice quilt finished

So, I finally finished the Alice Candy Store quilt! Actually, this is the first real quilt I've ever finished!!! Yay!!! (I've got one I've started a LONG time ago, still got to finish the quilting ... I'd like to finish it this year, it's one of my resolutions ...) I've also still got to hone my quilt photographing skills ... It's hard to get a good pic of the whole quilt, even though this one is only a small size.

Alice quilt

I quilted it with red and black embroidery floss to go with the colour scheme. I like the diagonal quilting lines and the fact that the thread is sometimes blending in with the fabric and sometimes forming contrasting lines.

Alice quilt corner

For the binding I used the same fabric as for the "frame" for the inner panel. I really like how it turned out. I've never sewn a binding like this and was a little nervous, but it was really fun. I followed the very clear instructions in this book and they made figuring this out very simple.

Alice quilt motifs

J. said some of the motifs say more "Las Vegas" than "Alice in Wonderland" ... Well, I ran out of ideas and the playing card motifs were just such a simple solution ... :-D

Alice detail

Can't get enough of that cute swallow!

Alice backing

For the backing I used the red Woodcut print from Innocent Crush. I had to add to the sides of the backing to make it wide enough. That print is so pretty, I'm glad I've got some of it left over!

Alice quilt, piece of cake

Here's one motif I haven't shown you in my last post about the quilt. The making of this wasn't exactly a piece of cake, but I really enjoyed it and am proud of the outcome. This is such a nice pattern and I think this is a great beginner quilt!

If you want to take a look at the process posts about this quilt, you can find them here, here, here and here.

Have a great week! :-)

2 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

Hooray!!!!!
I think that went quickly, mine is still sitting there with only the quilt top done (I pretend I don't see it). I find it hard to photograph quilts too. I like them with natural light, but it can get tricky to get the whole thing in with even light. The quilt is beautifully done, what a keepsake. When your in the middle of it, one feels like giving up. I'm glad you kept going, it turned out great. Perhaps you shouldn't have let us in on your resolution to finish the other one, now I'll be looking for it. Pressure. Tell J. that I don't see any Vegas in it. Carolina

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Yay! And she's a beauty! All that hand sewing, definitely an heirloom. And I think the clubs, spades, hearts etc fit perfectly - I always think of those playing card soldiers in the Disney version when I think of Alice. One lucky god daughter.

I really love that woodcut AMH too, I think it is my favourite from that line.