Wednesday, March 23, 2011

walking in Helsinki

This weekend we had guests from Germany and a great time! I'd like to show you some pics I took on our walks we took in Helsinki. Having guests and showing them around makes you appreciate the place where you live in a new way. So now I was able to see the beauty in our wintry spring once again.

boat in winter

We took a walk through Eira and then arrived at the shore where there were some boats waiting for the ice to melt.

boat and snow

Here is where people come to wash their carpets in the sea in summer.

ice and snow

carpet washing station

Here's a view out of the tram in the centre of Helsinki. It was snowing all of Saturday.

out of the tram window

On Sunday we went to Suomenlinna Sea Fortress by ferry. Here's a ferry waiting to go to Stockholm.

ferry and ice

A view from the small ferry we took. There's an exclusive boating club on that island.

from the ferry

There's still quite a bit of ice on the sea.

ice

Arriving to Suomenlinna.

Suomenlinna in winter

Suomenlinna colours

Church on Suomenlinna island

There's a lighthouse on top of the church.

Café on Suomenlinna island

Suomenlinna porch

Don't you think using these colours and white would make a stunning quilt?

frozen rain

Nature-made ice sculpture.

flower pot made of ice

ice pot, closeup

Man-made icy flower pot.

icy bay, Suomenlinna

the sea viewed from Suomenlinna

Views from Suomenlinna.

Suomenlinna wall

Suomenlinna building

Suomenlinna path

Fortress structures.

view from King's Port, Suomenlinna

View from King's Port.

So, now you know I haven't just whined on a high level here when it comes to the long winter ... ;-) But these pics and the great walks we took make me appreciate it again. So now I'm waiting for spring a bit more patiently ...

3 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Oh my goodness! It's going to be 20 degrees here tomorrow!! But it sure is beautiful, all that snow. Love the icicles and flower pots. I'm curious about the carpet washing stations, I have never heard of washing your rugs in sea water. Do you have to rinse them in fresh water after? What is the reasoning behind washing them in the sea?
Glad you had a great weekend with your friends and found renewed passion for snow (looks like you'll have some for a while yet...)

The Muse of The Day said...

I loved the pictures. It does help to "play" tourist for a few days to see your corner of the world with fresh eyes. I need to do the same so you can see where I live. I, like Kirsty, am really curious about that carpet washing in the ocean part. Can you take pictures of that when summer time rolls around? I would really like to see that. Carolina

The Muse of The Day said...

Eva- come see what I did with my fabric. I am dying to show you. Carolina