Thursday, March 10, 2011

Slow Table Runner

table runner

This was planned as "the quickest project ever". Game plan: Buy a length of fabric with printed borders, cut it in half horizontally (equals two runners), tidy edges & hem them by machine, finished ...!

print border

But then somehow I got it into my head to try my hand at hand-sewn mitered corners and slipstitched hemming ...

mitered corner

Well, two days later I've finished one of the two, but I have to say I'm quite happy with my decision. The fabric (Ecrulat Lycéenne, bought here last year, but apparently it's out of stock ...) is so pretty and the linen/cotton blend really lends itself to this kind of project. The fabric wasn't cheap, either, so I guess I'm doing it some more justice by hand-stitching. Also, I wanted to make the most of the fabric I had and with hand-sewing it's easier to achieve tidy narrow borders.

a perfect match

The fabric goes really well with the little plates my grandmother gave me last summer. In the spirit of not-keeping-it-real, I staged a little tea party for you ... ;-)

Have a good end of the week and a lovely weekend!

2 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

It's fun to stage a tea party - you get to eat both biscuits at the end!
That's a lovely piece of material and I think you made the right choice too - delicate hems for a delicate finish.
Wishing you many more happy tea parties! (maybe with some guests next time!)

The Muse of The Day said...

The material, the plate, and the cookie- all real enough for me to wish I was there. Carolina