Friday, February 4, 2011

Alice in the Candy Store


The last couple of weeks have been quite busy for me, I've been working a lot and warding off a cold, so craftiness took the backseat for a while. This week I'm getting back my mojo and started a new project. We were asked if we'd like to become godparents to our friends' little girl, so I decided I wanted to make a small quilt for her to give on her Christening. I ordered an Alice-themed Fat-Quarter Custom Bundle from fabricworm and I love the fabrics in it! They have such a knack for putting together the loveliest sets! The colours are red, beige, grey, black and a bit of white.


It also includes two of the Alice fabrics by Kokka, you can see my favourite detail in the first picture above. I decided to make the Candy Store quilt from Material Obsession and (not counting the 16 centre plain squares!) the Bundle gave me enough fabric to cut the squares and triangles for the quilt top with some scraps to spare. Here and here are great pics of versions of Candy Store on flickr. (I dare you to do a flickr search on Material Obsession! You might get an awesomeness attack!!!)


I thought along the lines of the fabric above for the border and binding. I love all the classic Westfalenstoffe fabrics! Their design is timeless and they remind me of my first experiments with patchwork when I was 11. But let's see how the blocks come together, first ...


I already put together some of the Broken Dishes blocks. For the quilting of the 16 central panels I'm planning to draw up some Alice-themed motifs to underline the theme of the quilt. I'm really confident that this could become a really cute quilt. If only I finish it ...

Today, I have the whole day off and I'm torn between sewing and going to the National Museum. They have an exhibition on doll houses there right now and I'd really like to see it. Let's see ... Maybe I can have my candy and eat it, too? I'll let you know!

3 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Looks fantastic - love the colours and especially love the Alice blocks, which I haven't seen before. Perfect quilt for a new godchild!
And just for the record, I think you should have your cake and eat it too - enjoy the museum and then a bit of sewing. Add some chocolate and it sounds like the perfect day! Have fun!

Andrea said...

This promises to be lovely once finished. Makes me want to try my hands on one as well. ;) Alas, I may be a little short on time right now. Just started my new job this week ...

The Muse of The Day said...

I too have been "crazy-busy" so I completely understand the feeling of wanting to do your projects, but not being able to get to them. Let's not even begin to discuss where blogging fits into all that.
Your fabrics are lovely. The Westfalenstoffe fabric has been a favorite of mine for some time now - all their fabrics are. Just keep doing whatever you can whenever you can. It is all we can do. I do appreciate seeing it all on your blog,when you get to it, you will get to it - just like my projects. Carolina