Thursday, January 13, 2011

arranging and re-arranging


I haven't got much craftiness to show for this week, except for the little pile above. (Unless you count ordering quilting books on amazon as craftiness, that is ... No?) I pulled these fabrics out of my stash with making the apron (here's a pretty example) from Patchwork Style in mind. My first inspiration was to use the bold flowery Laura Ashley print on the left with the pale pink linen/cotton-mix fabric on the right. It wasn't very easy to find 6 fabric to go with those out of my existing stash of recent and older fabrics even though only small scraps are needed and I've got quite a good range of fabrics, I think. After some re-arranging and switching I came up with the collection above and am still happy with my choice after sleeping over it. Not too matchy-matchy, also not too wildly different. I'm looking forward to seeing how the project will turn out!

As to what I've otherwise been doing with my spare time ...


... I've cleaned out, re-labeled and re-arranged our spice drawer. I know ... For some reason in January the cleaning and decorating bug gets me. After we put our Christmas decorations in boxes last weekend, I got the urge to re-arrange things in our home and have everything be orderly, cozy and stylish (still a long way to go from that ...). And I started with the spice drawer ... Well, ... Anyway ... I labeled the lids (instead of the sides) of our recycled spice jars with labels from this pretty book. So much more practical if you can see right away what's inside the jar when opening the drawers ... Duh!

I also made this little arrangement.


We got this dancing couple as an engagement present and bought the postcard in the frame on our trip to Paris when we got engaged in 2009. Next to them I put some postcards we received from friends and family in the last couple of weeks telling good news and sending good wishes for the New Year.

It's a good start.

4 comments:

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Hmmm, sounds very much like you are nesting, young lady. Do you have any news for us???

Eva said...

:-D No, no news. Only the symptoms.

The Muse of The Day said...

Eva - I am risking our friendship with this comment, but I was wondering what your fabric selection might look like if the brown middle fabric was omitted? I am sure that when you sew it all up, and do your magic like you always do, it will all look like it was meant to be. Somehow, though, I am not feeling the brown. To me, the brown goes with all the fabrics except the large floral on the right.
For all of you that are reading this comment thread, please understand that if Eva showed up in front of me I would have to do a deep bow because I honestly believe that everything she sews turns out beautifully.
Carolina

Eva said...

@Carolina: Yes, I can be very resentful of comments concerning my fabric selections, many friendships have been lost that way! ;-) Actually, I agree with you and I'm not really sure about the brownish fabric either ... I thought I'd cut the pieces from the rest of the fabrics and see if it fits in from there ... Sometimes clashy can be nice, sometimes ugly, let's see which is the case here ...

And THANK YOU for the sewing compliment! :-)