Friday, December 17, 2010

More kitchen-themed gifts


Remember these? I decided to embroider some tea towels to go with the spices to make a nice kitchen-themed set. As to other things to possibly go in such a set, I was thinking along the lines of these and this.


For the first two towels here I used Pleasant Kitchen Dishtowels designs by Alicia Paulson. The towels are from Ikea.


For this one I used a design from Decorative Embroidery which I borrowed from the library. It's a really good book for beginners, I think, and contains lots of pretty but simple patterns and ideas.


Love this central heart! I want to make more of these, they are so beautiful and fun. Also, the heart design gives many opportunities to try different colour combinations. Maybe some pillow covers with this design?


Since the jars of spices are a bit difficult to pack as presents, I covered a paper bag from one of my favourite little shops here in Helsinki with a page torn out of Kotiliesi magazine. Kotiliesi dates back to 1922 and the website claims that it was Finland's first women's and home magazine. The name means something like "hearth of the home" and I wasn't really attracted by the name. Luckily, my mother-in-law always gives me her old magazines and I now I really think that Kotiliesi is the best Finnish magazine in this category. There are always beautiful food spreads and table setting suggestions. Also, there are nice home stories and interviews. It's the perfect magazine the relax with, especially in winter.

There are still so many things I'd like to make before Christmas, but so little time. I guess I'll have to shorten my list ...

Have a great weekend!!!

4 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

Eva - I love the line drawings (embroidery) of the pot and the pastry bag. I think you should do more on this theme ( still on tea towels). Perhaps it could pay for your supplies if you put them on etsy. Have you ever thought about doing etsy? I often do, but I can never decide what I would make. i think your kitchen towels would do great, maybe when you have several of them made you could stitch some of them together into aprons. Carolina

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

I love the hearts too! But I don't know if I could bring myself to dry dishes on them, I'd have to put them up on the kitchen wall to admire!

The Muse of The Day said...

I am back, Eva. I keep thinking about those tea towels and wondering why both the pastry bag one & the pot one have stuck in my brain. What I like about them both is the juxtaposition of the linear plaid in the tea towels and the "organic-ness" of the embroidery you did on them. I am going to have to remember just how successful of an effect this is. Carolina

Eva said...

Thank you a lot, you two!! :-)

Carolina, the linear designs are by Alicia Paulson and I like them really much, as well! In her new book there are 7 more great designs in this style. I'm dreaming of making a day-of-the week set!