Wednesday, December 8, 2010

10 Favourite Christmastime Movies


The Christmas mood is going on strong around here. Yesterday I went to see The Nutcracker at the Helsinki Opera House and it was a really beautiful production. I'd never seen this ballet before and I liked it a lot. In addition to that, it snowed so much here that today the roofs have to be cleared from snow to avoid any structural damage or accidents. So you can imagine, that I'm in a cozy mood and all I'd like to do is watch movies, drink hot beverages and do some crafting (a little work in progress sneak peek up there ...) Alas, I have to go to work in the afternoon, but that didn't stop me from making a list of movies I like to watch during this time:

Elf (Will Ferrell at his best!)

The Muppet Christmas Carol (A classic!)

The Ref (funny and mean family comedy with a brilliant Kevin Spacey ...)

Groundhog Day (this cheers me up whatever the season ...)

Three Wishes for Cinderella
(this is always shown on German TV at Christmastime, such a beautiful fairy tale movie!)

Ronja Robbersdaughter (a beautiful film based on a book by one of my favourite writers ...)

Pride & Prejudice
(Jane Austen starring Colin Firth, what more do you need ...)

Die Hard (the perfect action film for Christmastime ... Bruce Willis + Alan Rickman = great!)

The Nightmare Before Christmas (love the animation, love the songs)

Mary Poppins (great songs and my childhood crush Dick Van Dyke)


What are your favourite Christmastime movies?

5 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

Hi Eva. several of those movies are my favorite as well. I just saw the Christmas movie called "Fred Claus". It is funny and light hearted. I can't get enough of this movie ... I have seen it 5 or 6 times already. It is not the plot that keeps me coming back for more, but rather the set designs for the north pole that they have. To me, it is magical. If you ever get a chance to see it, let me know if you liked the "houses" in the movie. Caro;ina

Eva said...

Hello Carolina, I just looked up "Fred Claus" on imdb and it sounds good, great actors! I'm definitely going to rent this one soon! Thank you!

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

I can't help it, I just love National Lampoon's Christmas, Chevy Chase makes me laugh! I must have seen it 10 times by now. The kids also like The Santa Claus (Clause?), it's a good one for them (I like it too).

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] said...

I love Love Actually, even if it does make me feel weepy! I am dying to get to Finland - will have to follow your blog to get some ideas!

Eva said...

Love Actually is great, I love it, too. Maybe it's time to watch it again, there are great scenes in it! :-)