Thursday, September 9, 2010

I guess, I'll be multi-tasking this autumn ...


Forgive me the slightly forced title! It was too silly to resist ...!


Yes, this bag is made with Anna Maria Horner's Multi-Tasker Tote pattern. I know ... I think she has been responsible for 90% of my sewing output and inspiration this year! I'm really looking forward to her gorgeous new collection, but honestly, I think I could keep going for another year on her Little Folks collection alone ...


The fabrics I used are from Finnish brand Marimekko. I bought them in a sale they had a couple of years ago, because I liked the prints and colours. I didn't really know what to do with them, though, until I saw the Multi-Tasker Tote pattern and then everything was clear! The main tote fabric is a sturdy cotton as used for instance in curtains or tablecloths and the print is Tilkkula by Erja Hirvi. The lining fabric is a cotton satin weave with the classic Puketti print by Annika Rimala.


The tote pattern and instructions were very clear and everything came together nicely. I really enjoyed working with this kind of pattern, for a change. I'm usually using European patterns from magazines where you have to trace (sometimes even scale) the patterns and there are only quite meagre written instructions. This was really almost mindless sewing. And very relaxing. You simply cut out the pattern, the instructions clearly telling you at every step what to do. Plus there are how-to pictures for a lot of the steps! Definitely worth the money.


Well, the title isn't only silly, it's also true ... I have a lot of projects I want, have or have promised to do. At times it is slightly overwhelming, because (as probably many crafters know) just when you really don't have time for it, inspiration strikes. I feel like the more projects I'm taking on and the more I make, the more ideas I get, which would be great, if only I wasn't so impatient! :-P At the moment one big project is on the forefront, I've been working on it for a bit and it's already in a good stage of completion. I'll tell you more about it, soon.


After I finish that, there's an even bigger project waiting for me which I'm really excited about, but also intimidated by. I'll also tell you about that one, once the time is right. Well, I guess everybody knows about craft anxiety and the dilemma that the project at hand keeps you from all the other 1000 ideas you have. And the feeling that you would like to rush through things to finish everything right now, but you know that rushing is no good ... I guess it's good to take some little breaks from big projects once in a while and do something just for fun. Like this great tote!



Boxed corners are cool! :-)

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

Wow, this looks completely different in darker colours (different in a good way!). Love the boxed corners too - especially with all those yummy red wine colours.

Hmm, speaking of wine...

Eva said...

Thank you! I also like browsing the flickr group and seeing the different versions of this! It is such a great chance to combine different fabrics.

Wine colours seem to only inspire good things! :-D