Wednesday, September 29, 2010

1+1=1


This shirt is for my friend's little boy and looks great worn as a layering piece over a long-sleeved T-shirt for autumn.

I used two of my fiancé's old shirts for this. They were too worn at the collars & cuffs to be used at work, but apart from that still in good shape. The cool thing about this is that you don't have to bother with button holes and attaching buttons, since you can use the existing ones of the shirts!


I couldn't be bothered with a collar, either. Also, I think this bias edge looks much more relaxed and in synch with the mix of materials here. It's supposed to be a fun shirt for every day, so no fussy collars disturbing playtime.

I used a basic children's shirt pattern and made half-sleeves. Also I made a yoke which is cut on the bias to add further interest.


I like the pleats in the back, as well. Of course, you could also make something similar using only one old men's shirt. It's good to see this nice fabric getting a new lease of live!

3 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

Man, having that fiancé has come in handy again!
The shirt came out great, in standard Eva style it is totally crisp ( that is the younger me trying to express how your finishes are done so neatly). I think that using the already buttoned & buttonholed pieces was a stroke of genius. I have three other parts of the shirt that I think are the tops - #1 my eyes went straight to the bias cut yoke; a great way to give flair to the shirt, but since the same fabric is found elsewhere on the shirt it keeps it from looking like too much for a boy (or a guy). #2 I love it when different fabrics take on different parts of the pattern. And #3, I would like to see it with the long sleeved T-shirt underneath. On a guy, it would be quite nice to see those long T-shirt sleeves a bit pushed up and the T peeking out around the top button area. On a girl, the biased edge collar could be made out of those beautiful ribbons they sell in your neck of the woods ( or at least in Germany, if you go back for another visit).
I know I have written a lot here, Eva, but I was impressed. Good work. Carolina

Eva said...

Thank you, Carolina! :-) I like your idea for the girly version! You can never have too much ribbon! ;-) :-)

Kirsty said...

And I would like to see you make one for Herman, too! He'd be the cutest monkey on the block.