Thursday, July 29, 2010

Johanna's tunic


This tunic was designed and made for my friend's daughter. I had 1/2 a metre of the orange Dobby Dot fabric and wanted to make something for Johanna from it to match the colour of her glasses. A sleeveless tunic seemed realistic to achieve from the amount of fabric available and as a layering piece will hopefully be worn well into autumn.


I wanted to take advantage of the beautiful hand of the fabric and design something billowing and girly. The ruching was easy to sew with this light a fabric. I fussy cut the Small Gathering fabric (leftovers from this pillow project) for the topmost button panel and highlighted the flower print with yellow snap closures.


Neck- and armholes are finished with self-made bias trim from the same contrast fabric. Coincidentally and funnily the print matches where the neck trim meets the button panel.


The hem is simply overlocked and turned. I decided for a 2 cm seam allowance to give the tunic a tiny little bit of weight a the bottom so it would fall more nicely. I'm really happy with how it looks on the hanger and am excited to learn how it will fit. I haven't made many original patterns for children, yet, so I'm a bit nervous about fit and wearability.

4 comments:

Kirsty said...

You know, I'd really like a version of that! Can you make a big girl pattern?

Eva said...

Good idea, I'll see what I can come up with!

The Muse of The Day said...

Where do I begin? I just popped over from Anna Maria's comment section and I have oohing and aahing ever since. Your sewing is perfection. I posted here because I could not resist the colors - especially how you combined the trim with the strong orange of the tunic. The yellow buttons made it all come together. Beautiful work, Eva. I will need to visit again. Carolina

Anonymous said...

Hey Eva,

ich habe soeben den Link dieser Seite an meine Schwiegermutter weitergeleitet, damit sie das Ergebnis deiner Arbeit bewundern kann. Sie hat sich gerade gemeldet und mir ausgerichtet, dass sie ab sofort sämtliche Näharbeiten für die Kinder einstellen wird, da sie mit deinem Können nicht mehr mithalten kann :-) Auf jeden Fall war sie wie auch ich total begeistert! Kathrin