Friday, April 25, 2008

Vest with Garter-stitch Yoke

This little jacket is for a friend's little son:


It can be tied at the front like a jacket or can be worn tied at the back as a vest:


The pattern is from Knitting in Vogue, Patterns form the 1930s to the 1980s for Men, Women and Children and the name is the title of this post. (I found the book at the library, I think it is unfortunately out of print. Particularly the children's knits are very pretty.) The project is described as a : "Vest knitted in one piece starting with the front, in stocking stitch with garter yoke pattern and back opening". The pattern is from 1936 and I like the graphic effect of the garter-stitch yoke. It was also easy and fun to knit. I distributed the recommended yarn with Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino, mainly because I fell in love with this beautiful soft green colour.


Now the jacket is quite a bit bigger than a newborn size, but that can't be too bad in my opinion, babies grow so quickly. I think it came out quite cute and I hope it's practical to wear!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Cashmerino yarn is so nice, what a lucky baby!

Eva said...

Yes, the yarn is lovely. It was also a real pleasure to knit with. Soooo soft!