Wednesday, November 7, 2007

knit, purl, relax

First some good news, my sewing machine is repaired and I can fetch it from the shop! :-) It's great that it'll be here again to be used, because Christmas is getting closer (argh!) and I wanted to try out some ideas for ornaments.

As for showing some finished projects here, well, I don't know if that will happen anytime soon ... I seem to be in a strange mood, where I have so many ideas and desires to make so many different things that I keep starting new projects all the time ... Like now I felt like knitting something easy and relaxing and came across this pattern in Suuri Käsityölehti 10/2007.



The pattern is by Anu Harkki, who has also written a beautiful book on knitting and a great book of home projects that I've mentioned before. She has a regular column in Suuri Käsityölehti where she's presenting a relatively quick to finish and original knitting or crocheting project each time. It's targeted at teenagers mostly, I think, but I really love the stuff she comes up with. This shrug was just what I was looking for knitting-wise, although I'm not really sure how it will look worn by me. I'm strangely attracted to shrugs, but wearing them well is another story ... We'll see! I liked the grey in the picture, but when I went to buy the yarn, I couldn't bring myself to get it and went for my all-time favourite red. It's grey enough outside at the moment! The yarn is the one recommended in the pattern, Novita Mambo and I'm knitting on 8mm circular needles, because the bigger straight ones are such a strain, sometimes. My pictures don't do the colour justice, I'm afraid. (I really want to try and find a way to take better pictures in these conditions. It's frustrating. I've been told that for example the little girl's dress-apron is so much prettier "live".)



So, I've started a new knitting project before finishing my cardigan. That makes me feel a bit bad. But I have to say that I need some courage for the cardigan, since grafting (or what you call it ...) the shoulder seams hasn't had the results I hoped for. So I'd like to successfully finish something simpler in order to feel mentally prepared to open the seams again and start afresh with sewing together my cardigan! ;-)

No comments: