Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Licensed sewing

This autumn I'm taking some sewing courses at the Helsinki adult education centre. I've mainly taught myself how to do sew through books and mere trial and error. Now I'd like to learn how to "properly" do things and how to take the most out of the techniques available to me. Yesterday was my first course, the first of two installments of a course with the topic "Get to know your sewing machine". It was very interesting and I learned some new stuff and got some inspiration. It was fun to play with the sewing machine and exciting to see how much you can already get out of just straight and zigzag stitch just by making some adjustments. The teacher also made us do this little exercise for a "Sewing machine driver's license":

So now I'm licensed to sew! ;-)

In terms of productiveness I've been sewing these new pillows for our dining chairs:

I bought these fabrics about 10 (!) years ago for my poor neglected quilt and they were left over and just been waiting to serve a purpose. I like them as much as I did back then and I think they go perfectly with the colour of the chairs.


I'm really looking forward to learning more about sewing!

2 comments:

Marisa said...

These cushions are adorable! Don't give up on your quilt, it's beautiful and will be so amazing once you finish. Your work is really very pretty.

Eva (frostpatterns) said...

Thank you so much! Also for giving me confidence in my quilting! Actually I've been working on the handquilting a bit now and hope that indeed, some day it will be finished. Because I'm already dreaming of new quilt projects to start once I'm finished, you know ... ;-)