Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hello Sushi!

If you like sushi and have never made it yourself up to now, I've got good news for you: It's easy!!! I had my first try at making it, inspired by beautiful pictures of bento boxes like this. (In this context I even like the Hello Kitty design!) I used a small book on sushi and improvised some of the fillings.


I made two norimaki variations (the smaller ones), one with cucumber and one with cold smoked salmon and avocado. The bigger futomaki ones are filled with japanese omelette, smoked salmon, fresh shiitake mushrooms and cucumber. As you can see, they are readily arranged with wasabi and pickled ginger.


Of course they don't look perfect, but I think pretty good for a first try! It was a lot of fun making them, and also preparing the vinegared rice (sumeshi) and japanese omelette. What I really like about this is that you don't really have to use really fancy fillings. Ok, the nori sheets, the rice and wasabi are fancy, but you can just fill your rolls with cucumber and egg and whatever else is appealing to you. In the book there were also versions with canned tuna and even frankfurters! So even though they might not be too authentic, those versions give a lot of space for experiment and catering to your own tastes! Well, I'd recommend trying it anytime!


I also found a nice page on bento boxes. This is really an amazing lunch culture, and somehow I feel that it would be nice to have lunch looking like this, for instance, every so often, even if you're eating at home. It just looks like so much fun! Well, maybe that could be my next venture into japanese food culture! :-)

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I also recommend you try Spam Musubi (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spam-Musubi/Detail.aspx), a Hawaiian "Sushi" variation, that is extremely yummy.

Agathe said...

Home made sushi is the best! It always annoys me how little you get at restaurants, so I prefer to make it at home instead. Your maki looks great, I can´t believe it´s your first try!

frostpatterns said...

Yes, I really agree, it is even better than bought one and you get better value for money. And, as I said, it's so much FUN! :-)

mamami said...

It is wonderful.!!

Anonymous said...

Dein Sushi sieht voll lecker und professionell aus. Noch ein bisschen Übung und du avancierst zum Chef.
Andrea (Watanabe)